Welcome to my adventures and experiments in creativity. Where writing is like running: sometimes I know where I'm going, and sometimes I see where the mood takes me.


Wednesday 9 January 2013

Sethisms


Before this week, I was only vaguely aware of Seth Godin and certainly didn’t know much about his philosophy. Then Milo McLaughlin declared that he was devoting a week to Mr. Godin and his ‘Sethisms’, and laid down this challenge.

It seemed rude not to accept, so I took myself off to Mr. Godin’s website and started reading. And I liked what I found – his style is distinctive and authoritative, and slightly scary in the way that all successful people are when they make it sound so easy.


I can’t say the following was inspired by any one particular idea, it was just a feeling that built from the fact that Mr. Godin manages to communicate a set of ideas and ideals in so many different ways. I’ve tried to mimic the style a little, and hopefully it meets Milo’s brief. It might not be ridiculous, but it does include a bit of wordplay I’m rather pleased with...


Metaphorically Speaking

In art, as in life, there is endless capacity for metaphors that describe the same thing. Endless capacity to present one piece of advice so it appeals to as many people as possible. If you’re lucky, you’ve found the metaphor that communicates to you.  If you’re really lucky, you can experiment and work out your own metaphor.

Be the wily velociraptor from Jurassic Park.

Be the relentless rolling stone from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

In short, be the metaphor that is most simile to the way you create. Then write it down and pass it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment